I cannot go to an American Chinese restaurant without ordering crab rangoon. It's my biggest weakness. The crispy wonton wrapper combined with the creamy cheese and the slight sweetness of the imitation crab? It's the perfect appetizer. If I'm making appetizers at home though, I don't always want to be in the kitchen pinching dozens of rangoons closed. Enter the crab rangoon dip!
This melty, creamy dip has all the flavors of crab rangoon, but with extra cheese. I used real crab in this recipe, but if you want this to taste exactly like a take-out crab rangoon, use imitation crab!
This dip can be served with tortilla chips or any of your favorite chip-like dip vessels, but I recommend making your own wonton chips. The crispy chips will taste just like the outside of a crab rangoon.
Crab rangoon dip: Step-by-step instructions
For the dip
In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
Fold in the half the mozarella cheese, parmesan cheese, crab, garlic, pepper and scallions
Put the crab mixture in an oven proof dish and top with mozarella cheese. Bake until dip is hot and bubbly and cheese is well browned.
For the home made wonton chips
These are the wonton wrappers that I buy. You can find them at any Asian grocery store.
I like to grab three at a time and cut them into fourths diagonally, so you get four triangles. Fry them in oil at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping often until brown and crispy.
Crab Rangoon Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 16 oz canned crab meat
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
For the dip
- Cream the cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and sugar together until fluffy
- Fold in the crab, parmesan cheese, half the mozarella cheese, scallions, garlic and black pepper
- Spoon the mixture into an oven safe dish and top with the other half of the mozarella cheese
- Bake until mixture is hot and bubble and cheese is browned
For the wonton chips
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot or cast iron skillet to 300 degrees
- In layers of 3 or 4, cut wonton wrappers diagonally into fourths
- Fry in the hot oil, flipping often until chips are golden brown and crispy
Note: Nutrition info does not include chips