Vietnamese Coconut Banana Bread Pudding (Bánh Chuối Nướng)
Change up the way you use ripe bananas with this delicious coconut bread pudding. Rich gooey bread pudding with crispy caramelized edges make this a delicious snack.
Servings 10 slices
- 10-15 Thai bananas (about 200-250 g)
- 30 ml rum
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 loaf Italian bread or brioche, cut or torn into 1 inch pieces (about 300-350 g)
- 1 13.6 oz can of coconut milk (about 400 ml)
- 100 ml whole milk
- 200 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 50 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
Peel the bananas. Keep the bananas whole, cut in half lengthwise or cut into coins. Marinate them in sugar and rum for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix coconut milk, whole milk, sweetened condensed milk,butter, egg, vanilla and salt together in a large bowl
Add the bananas with all of their liquid and the bread chunks to the custard mix. Let the mixture sit for 13-20 minutes so the bread can soak up all of the liquid
Grease a loaf pan or 8 inch cake round and add the bread and banana mixture. You can layer the bread pieces and banana pieces for a better look once the slices are cut
Arrange banana pieces on top of the bread mixture and bake for 60-70 minutes until the bananas and bread on the surface are a deep golden color. If any pieces start to burn, cover the surface with aluminum foil.
- You can use regular bananas for this but don't let them get too ripe because they will lose all of their shape. Regular bananas may not give you the same purple color once cooked.
- Use a bread that will hold it's shape but isn't too tough to absorb most the liquid
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 612kcal | Carbohydrates: 68.4g | Protein: 17.7g | Fat: 30.5g | Saturated Fat: 19.16g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 671mg | Fiber: 1.83g | Sugar: 39.26g